Hair transplantation is a surgical technique to solve the problem of baldness permanently, by moving hair follicles from a part of the body from to the bald area. It is primarily used to treat male pattern baldness.
Grafts containing hair follicles that are genetically resistant to balding, like the back of the head, are transplanted to the bald scalp. In about 6 - 10 months the implanted roots grow into full length hair and these hairs will continue to grow throughout the life.
Hair Transplantation can also be used to restore eyelashes, eyebrows, beard, mustache and to conceal scared area.
Through modern hair transplantation techniques, natural beautiful/handsome look can be re-achieved with well grown and dense hair on head.
Hair transplant surgery needs major artistry, and reconstruction a new hair line is an art and it requires experience and artistic skills.
Hairs are arranged in groups (1-4 hairs ) called follicular unit. Most of follicular unit contain 2 or 3 hairs and very few have 1 or 4 hairs. On an average 1000follicular unit= 2500 hairs.
In FUT –a strip of skin with hair follicles taken from back of head and donor area is closed. then hair graft is prepared from this skin strip. And then these grafts are placed in bald area by making small holes.
In FUE- In this method individual grafts are directly harvested from scalp with help of micro punches. No need of skin strip removal and wound closure. Then these grafts are placed in bald area of head as in FUT method.
Currently FUE method of hair transplant is widely accepted. This technique gives excellent natural looking result.
“NO ROOT TOUCH TECHNIQUE”
During implantation (placement of graft in bald area) process small holes (slit) are made in bald area and these grafts are placed in these holes with the help of instruments (forceps) .
In conventional method graft is hold at root site with forceps and then it (graft) dragged into the slit. so there was high chances of graft mishandling and trauma to the root. With “NO ROOT TOUCH” technique graft is hold at hair shaft side and placed in hole by dilating hole with other forceps without touching hair root at any stage of transplant. So the graft survival is highly increased.
Q.1 Are your really getting operated by plastic surgeon?
Q.2 Will doctor supervise your hair transplant or do it himself?
Q.3 What technique he is use, is operating room is sterile (aseptic precautions) and well equipped with safety measures?
1. Inadequate training and hand eye co-ordination –FUE hair transplant requires lot of hand eye co-ordination for perfection. For best results surgeons eye should see the graft and it’s angle from scalp and surgeons hands are exactly align the micropunch in direction of hair so graft should not transected. Only microsurgeon can do this in perfect way after lot of experience.
2. Inadequate magnification- With higher magnification under microscope the tiny structures (hairs) are seen much clearer. Because lack of training in microsurgery most of doctors are not able to do hand eye co-ordination at higher magnification. So they use no magnification or low magnification loops, that’s by high transaction rate.
3. Using very sharp punches- if surgeon use sharp punches these punch should cut dermis deep only. If sharp punches goes deeper to dermis the graft is easily transected (cut).so graft harvesting with sharp punches require very precision and experience.
4. Using high speed micromotor-standard FUE machine/ S.A.F.E.R ROBOTIC machine have low speed rotation with perfect alignment of hand piece and punch. Most of technicians/centers use dental micromotor. High speed and improper alignment of hand piece lead to high transaction rate.
5. Inadequate light- in most of centers traditional halogen lights are used, which gives only 20000 lumens illumination. For such small miniature thing like hairs adequate LED light more than 100000 lumens are required. This costly LED light is available in few centers only.
At “KOSMETIC CLINIQUE” hair transplant is performed by Dr AJAY SINGHAL plastic surgeon who have lot of experience in microsurgery and hair transplant. He do hair transplant with standard FUE machine/S.A.F.E.R MACHINE under microscope and high performance LED light in sterile and well equipped operation theatre. He is well-known for high density and specially natural looking hairline.
Normally One follicular graft have 1-4 hairs, so an average 1000 grafts= 2500 hairs.
Under substandard graft harvesting conditions in most of 3-4 hairs graft only 1 hair remains intact others are transected. Thus on an average out of 1000 graft only 1200-1500 hairs are harvest intact. With standard condition and experience most of graft contains 3-4 hairs intact are harvest. On an average 1000 graft have 2300 -2400 hairs.
Hair transplant is a surgical procedure like any other surgery. Patients proper evaluation and proper aseptic condition (should be done in operation theatre with proper fumigation) and monitoring should be done. Otherwise infection, patient morbidity and mortality may happen.
1. The back and side hair of your head are permanent androgen resistant hair, they don’t get shed even at age of 50 -70 years. Baldness will not be noticeable in these areas if we take less than 50% of hair from these areas.
2. Hairs are taken from the back and side of scalp and are transplanted into vertex and anterior scalp to make new hair line and cover all bald areas.
3. These transplanted hair remain permanent at new site also, as they have been taken from permanent zone. They will not shed even at age of 50 – 70 years.
4. Transplanted hair starts growing after 12 weeks of transplant and grows naturally all your life about 1 cm per month. After few time you can’t make out which hair was already there and which one is transplanted hair.
The implanted hair is taken from the donor area that is genetically different (resistant to balding) from frontal scalp area. Therefore, the implanted hair continues to grow all the patient’s life and it can be treated like natural hair for all purposes – haircuts, shaving, dyeing etc.
As long as the patient carries out the doctor’s instructions, With an experience surgeon, the transplant most of time will successful and in most of instances it is impossible to tell that the patient had under gone a hair transplant. But some time with unexperience surgeon/ technician it may be unnatural or transplanted hair not grow at all.
The hair transplant is carried out under local anaesthetic and therefore there is no need for hospitalization. At the conclusion of the transplant, the patient is free to go home, also can drive and return to activity a day later.
During the first week there are wounds that change into scabs in the implanted area, and therefore one should wear a cap in order to hide them. He can return to his regular routine on very next day. It is recommended to abstain from vigorous physical activity involving the upper part of the body for two weeks, thus allowing the recuperation to be faster and more successful.
The transplant is conducted under a local anaesthesia and done by means of tiny injections into the donor area from which the hair is taken and into the implant area. Afterwards the patient does not feel any pain, can watch a movie, listen to music and relax.
There are no long lasting side effects. In particular case swelling does appear in the area around the forehead and eyelids after the transplant, but disappears two days later – nowadays swelling is prevented mostly by affixing a special adhesive dressing to the upper forehead for 2 days, in addition to an anti-swelling medication.