Follicular Unit Transplant or FUT Hair transplant, also known as strip technique. In this method, surgeon harvest a 1-1.5 cm in width and 25 to 28 cm in length skin strip from posterior scalp in the area of good hair growth (permanent androgen resistant zone). The donor area is closed with trichophytic closure method, that gives very fine linear scar. Individual hair grafts (follicles) are prepared from this skin stripe under microscopes. These follicles are implanted (placed in the areas of hair loss) at recipient area with small, superficial needle holes or slits in the skin of the scalp.
• FUT was the gold standard technique of Hair transplant a few years back.
• The biggest advantage of FUT is a large number of hair graft can taken from most safe zone of the scalp donor area.
• But today patients scared of cut, also nobody wants a linear scar on the back of the head, So this method of hair transplant in spite of having many advantages is becoming less common.
• When hair transplant is done by strip technique (FUT Hair transplant) then there is a linear scar on the back side of the scalp. Hair does not grow through the scar. This seems to be the biggest drawback of strip technique of follicle harvesting.
• A trichophytic closure is a technique of closure (suturing) of the surgically created wound in FUT Hair Transplant. After this type of suturing, the hair grows through the scar. Presence of hair in scar makes it less visible.