The hair is most important to one’s self-esteem and identity. This is a universal symbol of beauty and vitality. In today’s era hair loss is one of the common problem affecting both men and women. Fortunately, there are effective preventive measures that one can take. If your progressing hair loss is taken care early then there are successful treatments. Hair restoration can be done using medical treatment as well as by surgery.
It’s very normal for everyone to shed some hair each and every day, but excessive hair loss is a big concern for both men and women. It can start with a just a few hairs falling out; this excess hair falling off may later progress to baldness. Baldness refers to excessive hair loss from your scalp which can be either inherited or can be due to other reasons. Hair loss can also be a symptom of an underlying medical condition.
To understand why hair loss exists, let us first understand the life cycle of hair.
Our hair goes through cycles of growth and rest, but its course is different for each individual. In general, the growth period lasts for about two to three years with the hair grows about a centimeter per month. After the growth phase starts receding, the resting phase starts which continues for about three to four months. At the end of the resting phase, the hair strands fall out and new ones begin to grow in its place, thus the growth phase starts again. This cycle may become disrupted due to many reasons. If you develop a hormonal imbalance or a specific irritation of the scalp, some hair follicles can potentially have a shorter growth phase and produce thinner and shorter hair shafts.
Hair loss is caused by many factors they differ in men and women. Till date, only a few of them are known for example effects of androgen, genetic factor, stress, crash diet, long-standing malnutrition, ferritin deficiency. In male front hair follicles are genetically predisposed to fall with the effect of testosterone. We cannot correct genetic factor but we can treat dietary deficiency and effect of the hormone. Any deficiency in this natural diet can lead to gradual thinning of hair. A proper diet of vitamins, minerals, protein, amino acids plays a major role in healthy hair growth.
1. Pattern baldness: This type of hair loss can occur in both the genders. In this type, the normal growth phase of two to three years is shortened and the hair is also not as thick or sturdy. With each growth cycle, hair becomes rooted more superficially and tends to fall out more easily during shampooing or combing. Heredity plays a key role in pattern baldness.
2. Scarring alopecia: This type of hair loss is permanent and is characterized by inflammation of the hair follicle. Hair to fall out. The new hair does not grow. Usually associated with several skin conditions like lupus erythematosus or lichen planus.
3. Alopecia areata: autoimmune disorder few of them may have other autoimmune disorders like thyroid disease. hair generally grows back with treatment but may again fall out and regrow again.
Telogen effluvium: Hair suddenly and unexpectedly falls out. Emotional or physical shock causes the hair roots to be pushed prematurely into the resting state, but generally within few months, the hair follicles become active again and new hair starts to grow.
5. Traction alopecia: pull your hair too tight when you style it. The roots tend to weaken and the hair can fall out.
1. Life style and food habit modification- Have good sleep and enough rest, Exercise daily to reduce stress. Avoid junk and unhealthy foods. Take a healthy diet that rich in protein, minerals and vitamins like B group vitamins, vitamin C, E and K. Hair growth is simulated by protein-rich diet including fish, eggs, dry fruits, nuts, yoghurt, milk and milk products.
2. Medical treatment-Food supplement, Minoxidil and Finasteride for men. Food supplement in a very low dose – in the form of cyclical treatment starts giving result in two months. Minoxidil promotes the growth of hair, it’s effect appears in 3-4 months. Finasteride is a 5-alfa reductase inhibitor and it reduces the level of Dihydrotestosterone(DHT)/male hormones and helps in promoting hair growth. It’s effect appears after 6 months.
3. PRP (platelet rich plasma) therapy- PRP stimulate stem cells in the bulb of hair root for growth. PRP very effective treatment for hair thinning and generalized hair loss.